Ames Public Library has shifted to Curbside Service (from grab and go lobby service) in response to increased community spread of COVID-19.
The lobby is currently closed, but holds are available by curbside pickup instead.
Here's how it works:
- Place items on hold using the Library catalog, just as you have in the past.
- Wait for notification that your items are ready before coming to the Library.
- Park in front of the Library during open hours. No appointment necessary!
- Text "HERE" to the number on the sign.*
- Follow the automated prompts in the reply.
- Stay in your car and open your trunk or passenger window for staff to place your items in your vehicle.
* Don't have a mobile phone? You can use the web version of the text service here, or contact Customer Account Services at (515) 239-5646 ext. 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org for help using curbside pickup without texting.
Please wear a face mask covering your mouth and nose during your curbside pickup.
This service is available for current library card holders whose account is in good standing. If you have large fines or fees on your account, you may need to pay them before your holds can be checked out. You can pay your Ames Public Library fines online here.
We receive about 800 hold requests each day, so your items will not be ready for you to pickup immediately. Please wait for notification from the Library that your items are ready.
Staff are working hard pulling requested items from the shelves in the order they are requested. It may take a day to get to your items.
If your item is in quarantine or if you requested on an item that is currently checked out to someone else, the wait may be longer.
Please return items in the drive up drop box in the alley behind the Library (preferred), or in the drop box just south of the Library's entrance.
If you have oversize items, puppets, or other items that should not go in the regular drop box, you may return them in the labelled bin during Curbside Holds Pickup.
Contact Customer Account Services at (515) 239-5646 ext. 2 or email@example.com for help using curbside pickup without a mobile phone.
Pedestrians and bicyclists are welcome to use Curbside Holds Pickup!
When you arrive, text "HERE" to the phone number on the signs. When the automatic text message asks for your vehicle color, type in "walk up." Staff will send directions for picking up your items.
Be sure to maintain at least 6 feet of distance from staff and doorways, and wear a face mask covering your mouth and nose.
Library staff are following current safety recommendations, including wearing masks and practicing social distancing with other staff as well as customers, washing hands with soap frequently, and disinfecting work spaces.
Library materials are quarantined after being returned.